Here at 32 Flags, we’re proud to provide weekly updates of the National Women’s Soccer League as well as a Standings and Schedule page. FIFA Women’s World Cup stars are all back to their regular club sides and the playoffs are just around the corner…go and support women’s club soccer!
This week saw playoff clinching victories, a hat trick from Seattle’s Kim Little, and more record setting attendance figures.
- The playoff situation has shaped up almost completely. Seattle and Kansas City clinched, and Washington and Chicago are one game away from clinching with just a few to go. Don’t county out Portland and Houston, but they will need both skill and luck to be on their side in the coming weeks.
- Sky Blue FC set an attendance record with 5,547 fans, the largest for the team ever at Yurcak Field and second in franchise history.
- A large Houston crowd of 9,530 at BBVA Compass Stadium watched Seattle’s Kim Little smash their playoff hopes with a sick hat trick.
- Another game on Fox Sports 1 this week! Washington v. Portland, Sunday, August 30 @ 9:30 p.m. ET. Be there!
August 18- 24 Results
Seattle Reign def. Houston Dash, 3-0 — Video Link
- Seattle Goals: Kim Little (42′, 73′, 90′); Houston Goals: None
- Houston were all out of sorts in this game, that despite it being an absolute must win. Kim Little was outstanding and dominated the attacking third. This performance alone launched her into serious MVP consideration.
Sky Blue FC def. Portland Thorns, 1-0 — Video Link
- Sky Blue FC Goals: Nadia Nadim (19′); Portland Goals: None
- Devastating loss for Portland, all but eliminating the Thorns from the playoffs. Portland’s Alex Morgan had a chance though, only for her last minute penalty kick opportunity to be saved.
FC Kansas City def. Boston Breakers, 3-0 — Video Link
- KC Goals: Amy Rodriguez (29′, 52′), Lauren Holiday (50′); Boston Goals: None
- A huge win for Kansas City. They have now all but clinched a playoff slot. Kansas City’s next match is against the Washington Spirit, a match with critical playoff implications.
Chicago Red Stars draw Western New York Flash, 0-0 — Video Link
- Chicago Goals: None; WNYF Goals: None
- And with a dreadful scoreless draw, the Red Stars clinch a playoff spot… and the Flash are eliminated.
This Week’s Fixtures
Wednesday, August 26:
- Seattle Reign @ Boston Breakers, 10 EST
Thursday, August 27:
- Washington Spirit @ FC Kansas City, 8 pm EST
Saturday, August 29:
- Chicago Red Stars @ Western New York Flash, 7 EST
- Seattle Reign @ Sky Blue FC, 10 EST
Sunday, August 30:
- Boston Breakers @ Houston Dash, 8:30 EST
- Washington Spirit @ Portland Thorns, 9:30 EST — FOX SPORTS 1
[table id=NWSL /]